Will My Medications Be Covered by a Medicare Plan with Prescription Drug Benefits from Humana?
If you take prescription medication regularly or have a chronic condition that requires medications, it may be worth your time and effort to research Medicare plans with coverage for prescriptions. Humana is one of the companies providing such options so make sure to check them out if this is something important in deciding on which company will best suit your needs.
Read on to learn about Humana’s Medicare prescription drug benefits and how to find out if your medications will be covered.
Which of Humana’s Medicare plans include prescription drug coverage?
Humana is a private insurance company contracted with Medicare to provide health care and prescription drug benefits to members. For this reason, not all plan types and benefits may be available in all areas, and you may have different premiums, copayments, coinsurance amounts, and deductibles depending on the plan you choose and where you live.
There are two types of Medicare plan options available from Humana that offer prescription drug coverage:
- Humana Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans
- (Stand-alone) Humana Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans
Medicare Advantage (Part C) is an alternative way to get your Original Medicare benefits; a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan must cover everything that Original Medicare covers, except for hospice care, which is still covered by Part A. Most of Humana’s Medicare Advantage plans include prescription drug coverage. Many Medicare Advantage plans from Humana have optional extra benefits you can add to your plan, such as routine vision and dental. If you enroll in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan, you must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium plus any additional premium required by your plan. Copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles may also apply.
With Original Medicare (Part A and B), you could have large prescription drug costs. Humana has a plan that may help lower your expenses now or in the future with their stand-alone Part D Prescription Drug Plan, which does not cover other healthcare needs so it can be more affordable for those on tight budgets.
How do I check which medications are covered by Humana’s prescription drug benefits?
To understand prescription drug coverage under a Medicare plan from Humana, you need to know some terms that may be unfamiliar to you, such as:
- Formulary. A formulary is a list of prescription drugs the plan will cover (according to plan rules). Note: Plans may change their formularies at any time, but you’ll receive notice when necessary.
- Prior authorization. Some formularies require you or your provider to get approval from the Humana Medicare plan before prescribing the medication. Your provider may also need to show the prescription drug is medically necessary.
- Tiered formulary. Some Humana Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans use a tiered formulary, which assigns lower copayments, coinsurance, and/or deductibles for less expensive medications, such as generic prescription drugs. A tiered formulary typically requires more cost sharing for medications in higher tiers, usually expensive brand-name drugs.
- Step therapy. In some cases, your Humana Medicare Advantage plan may require your doctor to start you on a less expensive prescription drug to test your response to treatment before approving a more expensive one.
- Quantity limits. A plan may limit the number of doses or pills you can obtain at a time.
To see if you are eligible for a Humana Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan or stand-alone Humana Medicare Part D prescription drug plan, take the time to fill out this form. The page and search engine will tell you which drugs your insurance company covers at what prices.
Please note that some prescription drugs may be available at lower costs through a mail order pharmacy, and some may need to be filled through a specialty pharmacy.
If your prescription drug isn’t covered by your Humana Medicare Advantage plan or Humana Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, your doctor may request an exception to the plan’s formulary.
How do I find a Humana Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan or stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plan that covers my medications?
- To view the different types of Humana Medicare plans that may be available in your area, just enter your zip code in the form on this page.
- If you have questions about Humana Medicare Advantage plan options with prescription drug coverage or stand-alone Prescription Drug Plans from Humana, please call one of our licensed insurance agents at the phone number found on this page.
Humana offers a variety of Medicare plans, from HMOs to PPOs and even stand-alone prescription drug coverage. While you may only be eligible for one type of plan at this moment in time, Humana is always looking out for our customers’ best interests by offering different types of insurance services that can meet your needs as they change throughout life’s stages.